The Top 15 Research Paper Topic Ideas On Music
Research topics on music are very diverse. You can write your research paper about ideas related to performance techniques, psychology, culture, education, musical instruments, etc. If you have trouble coming up with a good topic idea for your work, you can brainstorm with your peers, search for sample works on the Internet, or study a list of interesting topics to get inspired. For instance, use the following top 15 ideas to get started:
- How can music influence people?
Write about the ways music can influence the mental and health conditions of an individual. Consider the ideas below:
- 1. Improvisation as a means of helping people deal with mood swings.
- 2. An amusia disorder: should it be treated?
- 3. Musical memory and recognition: methods of its development.
- 4. The connection between the musical talent and savant syndrome.
- 5. The influence of playing the piano on individuals suffering from communication issues.
- Great composers and their works.
Discuss the works of great composers. You can focus your research on a certain work, compare different techniques of performance, or reveal interesting details about musicians who performed works of famous composers.
- 6. The Rite of Spring and Igor Stravinsky’s use of rhythm.
- 7. Classical-era prominent composers: the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
- 8. The most important composers of music for the pipe organ: Mathias van den Gheyn as a representative of classical school.
- 9. Charles Seeger and his role in developing musicology as a science discipline.
- 10. The education of pianists: the approach used by Chopin.
- Development of music: a historical perspective.
Describe how social and technological changes affected the development of music. Characterize one of the following eras: baroque, classical, romantic, or modern. Determine the key composers and musicians, and explain what musical genres are popular today.
- 11. Recording industry: the effects of online technologies.
- 12. Cultural origins of ragtime in the Southern states.
- 13. Country music and its evolution in the U.S.
- 14. Musical genres that were popular during the Renaissance in Europe.
- 15. Trip-hop as a musical style: the main features and its history of origin.
The topics provided here can be modified if you want to. Additionally, you can search online for other examples of interesting research paper topic ideas. Either way, you should keep the requirements of your professor in mind and get your topic idea approved before starting to work on the paper. It also makes sense to ensure that you have enough material to develop your thesis statement, so conduct a literature research in the first place.